Monday, May 18, 2015

May 18, 2015: Hermana ........the Keys!!!

Hello family!!! You all sounds like you're doing really good!!! I'm glad to hear Maddie's graduation went well and that summer is on its way for you all. Don't have too much fun without me ;) ha-ha....and everything looks so green in Poky!!

This week was great! We have some new investigators with lots of potential. One of them is named Veronica...at first she was hard as a rock, but was super curious about the Book of Mormon. We found a marriage to teach...and they're legally married: YAY!!!! Her name is Armida and his name is Julio. They have 4 kids, but they're all grown up and only the 19 year old lives at home. We showed them the "He Lives" video and explained how Christ was sent by our Heavenly Father to show us the way, and that Heavenly Father wants us to return to Him. She asked, "What do I have to do to get there?" Perfect question: we have the answer. Julio lived in Canada for a while as a field-worker and is obsessed with gardens and plants. He's fascinated by the idea that Idaho has big open fields for farming. He has a tiny little garden of broccoli in his back porch where they do laundry. He asked us to pray for it. Amelia is someone I met back in November, but wasn't all that interested. Long story short, she was gravely ill in the hospital for about 4 months and thought of us and wished she could get in touch with us. So, I supposed that experience has prepared her and now is her time! They've had some previous experiences with the Mormons and have liked what they have seen. We were pretty busy this week :)

Funnies from the week: My comp locked our keys in our house on Tuesday. The screen door doesn't have a handle on the front and we have to use the keys to even get it open. We had shut the screen and I was waiting for her to lock the door when she looked at me and said, "Hermana...the keys!" I laughed for a second at her...and then we thought quickly how we could break back into the house for the keys since we had an appointment. We put a little hole in the screen door, tied a few hair-ties together, and slipped it through the hole we made to pull the latch on the other side to open the screen...and then we broke into our own house :) But the highlight...probably one of the funniest days of my mission: Wednesday at lunch. There is a sister in the ward who is losing her mind but likes to give food to the missionaries. She sat down on the couch while we ate and started telling us things that have no rhyme or reason. She has an obsession with a letter-game that nobody understands and says we are all like the smurfs and that she lives in a boot. Anyways, we were almost done eating and she suddenly demanded that Elder Raymond leave the room and look out front. He complied, then she took a napkin and a pen and drew a stick figure of "San Juan" and told him to come back. She asked him what he saw and he said, "The street and a house." She got upset and told him, "No." and then showed him the picture she drew and said he should have seen him. She then sent Elder Sanchez to go look and sent Elder Raymond to the bathroom to see what was there. Hermana Ferrell and I had to keep our cool...but it was hard because she was sending the Elders on a wild-goose chase all over the house. When she finally let them sit back down, she asked them what they saw. She explained that logically this meant that she lived in a boot. What???? Anyway, that is one lunch I will never forget ha-ha :) I will tell you guys the entire story later. I have it in my journal.

I've fallen in love with the "Forget Me Not" talk from Elder Uchtdorf. I LOVE IT!!! Here's the link to go read it: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2011/10/forget-me-not?lang=eng as I have worked with members and less-actives, I've notices one difference...which is the fourth point of his talk that we should not forget: the WHY of the Gospel. He said, "While understanding the 'what' and 'how' of the gospel is necessary, the eternal fire and majesty of the gospel springs from the 'why.' When we understand 'why' our Heavenly Father has given us this pattern for living, when we remember why we committed to making it a foundational part of our lives, the gospel ceases to become a burden and instead, becomes a joy and a delight...the 'why' of obedience sanctifies our actions." It's true that sometimes gospel living becomes a checklist of "things I have to do" instead of an opportunity to show our Father in Heaven how much we love Him....and in the end receive blessings. If we never forget the "why", the "what" isn't a burden and we won't give up. I know each of the things that we are asked to do from the Lord have a purpose and He never asks us to do something we can't. And his promised blessings ALWAYS COME!!!!! It all requires sacrifice, obedience, and faith to become His disciples, but I figure I can always count on the Lord to follow through, so I will take the leap. We all can!!!! I know that He will always come through for us, and we will be blessed and happy if we do the things He has asked...with the "why" in mind. :)

Well, I love you all so much and really enjoyed your emails! Thanks for all the love and support that you give! I have the number one family!!! Keep up the great things you're all doing. I miss you all! Have a great week!!! XOXOXOXOXOXOXO

 

Con todo mi amor,
Hermana Anderton


Hermana Anderton asks............  Did you remember to say your prayers?

No comments:

Post a Comment