Monday, February 2, 2015

February 2, 2015: Oh Man, I Felt Like a Primary Teacher

Hello People! You all sound like you're doing great. I loved the pics, thanks Dad! HAHAHAHA I was dying about the legitimately running cow! I had to take a breather!!! Holy guac!!!! Kennedy, your emails always leave me laughing like a dummy in the cyber. Ha-ha if I am ever feeling a little down, I will just imagine the running cow ;) I'm sad that the Seahawks lost the Super Bowl. It's okay though, next year.


Well, we found a family to teach. That's right. We saw Maria and her kids (Jaquelyn, Lluvia, and Abram) walking down the street when we were knocking on an investigator's door. The investigator didn't turn out to be home, so we "casually" sped-walked after Maria. The first thing that fell out of my mouth was "Hermana! Queremos compartir con usted lo que nos hace felices!!!" (Sister, we want to share with you what makes us happy.) Ummm, I can only imagine what she was thinking, a crazy blonde girl half-running after her and then saying that...I'm such an awkward person ha-ha :) After studying us for a minute, she said, "Okay, what is it about?" We visited her the next day and they were really receptive! We took them to an activity we had in the branch on Friday, Noche de Musica, and they really liked it! We talked about baptism and Maria said she wanted to learn more first, but if she felt good about it, she was willing to be baptized. She can't read or write, so we are going to teach a little slower with her and read the Book of Mormon with her at the beginning of every lesson to review what we learned the last time. Everything will be slowed down about 10% when we teach her and her kids. We are going to try to put a fecha after we teach them the plan of salvation. Her kids came with us to church, but she couldn't. Oh man, I felt like a primary teacher. (Her kids are 12, 10, and 8.) I love babies, and teenagers, and adults, but kids...it's not my specialty. It called for a lot of patience on my part. But, I now have a lot of drawings from Abram that he drew for me during sacrament meeting with my scripture markers. They are pictures of everyone at church and us visiting their house. We are going to buy some frijoles and do a faith project with them. We are going to grow una planta de frijole, and we are going to teach them that going to church, praying, listening to us, etc. are ways they give their "faith" or "plant" nutrients. We plan on doing that tonight. Should be fun!


Okay, another Hermana Anderton moment....I dropped 5 gallons of purified water on the floor last Monday night. A brand-new garafon of drinking water on our floor!!! I was so mad at myself!! The garrafon slipped off the counter and onto the floor and busted open. Ha-ha, but after I gasped and Hermana Zepeda came around the corner shuffling through the water...she started laughing uncontrollably at my face of disbelief. She told me, "Only you!!! hahaha!! Only you!!!!" In all seriousness, only me. So we shuffled water out of our apartment for about 10 minutes and had to go buy new water the next day. Also, something cool that's going on here, there is a family that usually isn't very receptive to the sister missionaries in our branch, but they seem to have taken a liking to me and Hermana Zepeda. I'm not sure what we did, but I would consider that a success. One of our goals is to be so kind to them that they offer to feed us for a day. (The members always give us lunch, and this family never gives it to the sisters.)


Yesterday, I had the opportunity to talk football and gospel. A man told me that the gospel was like football and all the churches were just on different teams playing the same sport, so he thought they all were good and it didn't matter. I smiled and told him, "Someone has to win the Super Bowl, and will you listen to our message." He didn't live in our area, but I have high-hopes. He seemed to like how I put it. Ah, I love sports.

Okay, just so you guys know, I'm sending the packet home this next week. We eat this Sunday with the family who will take it to El Paso for me, so she will probably send it next Monday or Tuesday.

My thought for you guys is from the Jenny Phillips song: Valiant Faith. It says:


"Too many people are just sliding by,
plugged into the world,
but missing the meaning of life.
But I was born to be a warrior of light
with faith to move mountains
and the power of God filling my life.

I want to live my life with honor and faith.
I want to return to his arms unashamed.
It's not enough for me to live it half way.
I'll follow him fearlessly all of my days.
I will live with valiant faith.

I lived for ages. I've prepared for this life.
I won't be confused,
and cross to the enemies side.
I am girded with power and truth.
I'm siding with God.
He's pouring out blessings in all that I do.

I want to live my life with honor and faith.
I want to return to his arms unashamed.
It's not enough for me to live it half way.
I'll follow him fearlessly all of my days.
I will live with valiant faith.

Valiantly, fearlessly,
I'm fighting for the mighty king.

Valiantly, fearlessly,
I'm fighting for the mighty king.

I want to live my life with honor and faith.
I want to return to his arms unashamed.
It's not enough for me to live it half way.
I'll follow him fearlessly all of my days.
I will live with valiant faith."


I really like this song!!! I think it's true. A lot of us are not living up to who we can be, or we forget or get confused about who we are. We should do our best to always remember who we are and our purpose here by praying, reading the scriptures, going to church, etc. All of the little things are our armor that we give ourselves. May we all make it a goal to live a little more valiant in the faith. On my mission, I've found out a lot about myself and have grown in my faith. I know that we have a big work to do!!!! I want to always strive to live the principles I've learned here and try to always be a little better each day. Make your goals and put them into practice!!!

I love you all so much and am living the dream! Miss you all, but I love the mission. Till next week!!! XOXOXOXOXOXOXO


 Con Amor,
Hermana Anderton

Raegan and Hermana Hinojosa

Johnny Lingo anyone? I think the book is autographed.  One of the Hermanos in Raegan's mission was Johnny Lingo's  roommate at BYU.   

Raegan drops the jug, Hermana Zepeda cleans it up. Hmmmmmm.........

Only Raegan.....

Sara, Hermana Lupita and Anderton

Sara at her baptism

No comments:

Post a Comment