Monday, July 6, 2015

July 6, 2015: "I'm Sticking Around"


Hola familia! Everyone sounds really good! It sounds like this week was interesting at home. We did see the fireworks! They were far off in the distance and it was raining....so they weren’t all that big. But I was still stoked. Hermana Ferrell and I sang some of the classic songs that are always on when the fireworks go...Hermana Diaz liked her first July 4th experience with the Americans ha-ha. We assured her that the songs are much better than the way that we sang them and that when you are closer to the fireworks and it’s not raining...it’s a whole different ball game.

Ricardo didn’t get baptized this week, but will be baptized the 19th. And guess what...I will be here for the baptism...because I’M STAYING ANOTHER TRANSFER IN RIO NILO!!!!! I can’t believe it!! I was so shocked when Elder Raymond called and said I was staying and that both of my companions were leaving. They have only been here half the time I have been here. Hermana Ferrell is off to Del Valle and Hermana Diaz is off to Casas Grandes. We had a good laugh. I won’t lie, it was a secret relief. I really love my area and love the members. And we have a lot of investigators. Some are progressing faster than others...but allá vamos. Edmundo is progressing really well. He came to church this week for the first time and had a great experience! Hermano Garcia was really happy about that. He’s been accompanying us to our lessons. It was so funny when we went last time because Hermano Garcia is super formal and said, "Edmundo, you may officially consider me your friend. I can stop by on Sunday to pick you up if you’d like." I guess I’ve just never thought about name calling for a friend. Don’t you just make those without having to talk about it? ha-ha. We are going to make a baptismal date with him this week. :) We found a young man outside of his work reading a book and then we started talking to him about books and eventually it turned into the classic missionary conversation about beliefs. He said he wasn’t very familiar with God or who He is. I whipped out a Book of Mormon and said that we had the perfect book for him. He laughed and said it was fine and that he liked to read. Turns out, he lives in the area of the Elders. (Seriously, almost everyone we contact lives there....ha-ha we work hard so they don’t have to.) We have talked to a lot of people this week. Sometimes we start repeating people...that’s always a bit awkward. They say, "I remember you blondie. You talked to me last week remember?" Unfortunately, not until you remind me I don’t. The members are wonderful and are taking good care of us. Don’t worry, I’m eating well and drinking a lot of water :) The heat hasn’t been all that bad this week. Sometimes I’m convinced that there’s power against heat being a missionary. Everyone always asks us if we are melting because it’s super-hot...but we are fine. I quit praying for it to cool down and started praying for the ability to bear it better. Heavenly Father is listening.

Well, I heard Boyd K Packer died this week. I was super sad; I always really loved his talks. I wrote down all my favorite lessons I remember from him. He had a great way of explaining things. There was one about mercy and justice, but I can’t find it. I also remember one about spiritual crocodiles. That’s the one I will share today. He said we needed to be aware of the spiritual crocodiles lurking and waiting to destroy us. We won’t see them from afar and we need to obey our leaders to be safe, and the Spirit will always lead us in the right direction. We just need to learn how to listen to the still, small voice. Here is the link:


“The basic exercise for you to perform in your youth to become spiritually strong and to become independent lies in obedience to your guides. If you will follow them and do it willingly, you can learn to trust those delicate, sensitive, spiritual promptings. You will learn that they always, invariably, lead you to do that which is righteous.” – Boyd K Packer

Well, I love you all and hope that you all have a great week! Keep having fun and loving life! I’m so proud of you all and all you’re doing! Thanks for all the love and support. I’m so blessed to have such a great family. Until next week!!! XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Con todo mi amor,

Hermana Anderton



4th of July Fireworks in El Paso....  

Hermana's Ferrell, Hernandez, Anderton

Hermana Hernandez and Husband with Raegan

Hermana and Hermano Lievano with Raegan.

Hermana's Diaz, Anderton and Ferrell with the Ward Mission Leader Hermano Beavides

Hermana Lily Olivas and Raegan (Rio Nilo Ward Member)

Hermana Luly Olivas and Raegan (Rio Nilo Ward Member)
Dad's Note:  Raegan has been in the Rio Nilo area now for 10 months and has just found out she will be there for another transfer period.  She loves Rio Nilo and by judging the pictures she sent home with all the ward members I'm sure she thought it would be her last Sunday in that area....... I think it will be hard for her to leave when the time comes!

No comments:

Post a Comment